Monday, April 4, 2011

rants and silver and spoon

i have been interested in photography since i was young. i've always enjoyed creating and capturing a moment that will last forever. this is only a known fact among my family and closest friends. its never something i shouted from the rooftops or wanted to make money from. it is a creative release for me. i have always just done it for fun.

i've used my family and friends as my scape goat models from senior pictures to baby pictures to band pictures to artsy pictures that may have frightened my mother and made her question why i was smearing black make up all over her innocent little girl's face. i've coveted a nicer camera since i can remember but could never justify spending the money on the one i really wanted.

for christmas, cosmo completely blew my expectations for a camera out of the water when he got me a nikon d7000. like i've mentioned before, i cried like a baby. i was overwhelmed and overly excited all at once. this was A LOT of camera for me.

now here's my rant:

since owning this camera i've been asked a lot if i plan on starting a photo blog or website. these cameras and photo programs are so accessible these days, it seems everyone is a "photographer" now. its actually a huge pet peeve of mine. i'm not saying i am this fantastic amazing photographer. i'm not. i have SO MUCH to learn. especially when it comes to this digital stuff. but i do this for myself. it makes me happy. plain and simple.

i'm also not saying that there are not AMAZING photographers out there with photoblogs. there are several i look at daily and oogle over their ability to create.

i'm just tired of the "mary janes" that pick up a camera for the first time in their lives and decide they are a photographer and start charging people money for it.

you are not a photographer, you just have an overpriced camera.

ok. now that that is out. this is the first time i've really shared my work with everyone... it makes me nervous and anxious to put it out there.. especially after that little rant. but i'm trying to grow. to not be fearful. to share my talents. photography makes me happy.


my little sister's friend makes rings from antique spoons. the name of his company is silver and spoon he had made her a few of them and asked if she would take pictures showing the rings. she, in return, asked me if i would take the pictures. this was the first real shoot i've done with my new camera.

here are just a few shots.





go check out his rings HERE

so there you have it. my photography in all its glory.

6 comments:

Erica said...

Really good pictures!

And I TOTALLY agree about the "photographers" thing. Just because you have a good camera doesn't mean you are anywhere near professional. Seriously.

Shums said...

Aaaahhhh! I'm so glad you posted about this! I feel the same way. I feel like people try to make EVERY blog pic look like a professional shot. Enough with the black and white "candid" shots of your kids- just snap a pic with your phone, and blog about it already!

Tanner and Shasta said...

Freaking Ange. Does she have to be that beautiful? I hate her today.

Your pictures however, I LOVE! They look amazing! Good Job.

Tanner and Shasta said...

Ok I feel bad saying that I hate Angela..... That was the fat, hormonal, pregnant woman that has taken over my body talking. I really love her.

Cheryl Elmer said...

You are talented. Glad you finally shared some pics. You can practice on Hazel anytime!

Brooke Whimpey said...

Angela is way to cute! Not fair!!! :) Jennifer the pictures looks awesome!