Thursday, February 19, 2009

In Memory of my Grandpa: Charles Lee Sperry

“Life sure aint easy, but it was never supposed to be.
You just learn to love those closest to you and then they up and leave.
‘Don’t worry,’ I can almost hear my Heavenly Father say,
‘That’s why I gave you a memory bank, for tough days like today.’
Thank goodness for His mercy, for all the memories,
we all have of my Grandpa. Mr. Lee Sperry.”
-by Kenneth Whimpey

November 30th, 1928 - February 10, 2009
Last week the world lost the kindest, most loving, hard working man that it has seen.
my grandpa.
crazy that just a month ago we were gathered to celebrate his 80th birthday and he was in tip top shape. he even beat my brother greg at a mercy war.
suzie, tammy, mom (becky), bart, grandma, craig
my mom's family

grandpa always had licorish that he would give the kids. his favorite story that he told me EVERY time i saw him was about a time i asked him for licorish and he told me he didnt have any, to which i replied-'yes you do! i can smell it on your breath!'

my grandpa's first wife, grandma beth sperry, passed away in 1971 and grandpa was buried next to her.
he remarried my grandma LuDean in 1972. she is the grandma I have always known.
i never knew my grandma beth, since she passed away when my mom was 12 but i know i got my pale skin, auburn hair and freckles from her.
grandpa always told me i reminded him of her and would always get a little teary eyed. the big comfort of all of this is knowing he is with grandma beth again. that must have been quite the reunion.

garrett asked ken why he was crying. and ken told him because he was sad. to which garrett said - "well you shouldnt be!! he's gonna be resurrected!"
you have to love the faith of a child.
here is garrett putting a flower and a picture that he drew for grandpa on the casket. (this is where i completely lost it...) garrett was really close to my grandpa sperry because they live right by them. i know he is only 4, but he was so at ease with everything because he knew he'd see grandpa again. i've tried really hard to have garrett's spirit and attitude thru all of this.

my grandpa served as a sargent in the korean war.
they honored him with firing rifles and presenting this flag to my grandma.

the funeral was held on february 14th in nephi utah. it was snowing outside and was so surreal to look around at everyone bundled up in big coats and scarves, to see their tear stained faces and the snow gently falling on top of everyone. i cant even begin to describe the feeling and emotion of it all.
one final salute to my grandpa.
i love you grandpa.
you will be missed tremendously.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

What a sweet man! I'm so sorry for your loss...

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

What an awesome tribute to a great man! So sorry Jenn, hope you keep finding comfor from Garrett & everyone...

Tanner and Shasta said...

Now I'm in tears again. I wish I could have made it up there.

Here are a few of my mormories of him.
*At your wedding dinner I was in line for food with him and Grandpa Whimpey. Of course Grandpa Whimpey HAD to bring up the shark nets story, so the three of us laughed and laughed.
*Going to their house in Nephi, *Going through his war memorabilia.
*When Greg got married Tanner and I walked into the coultral hall and he was the first person to get up and rush over to us. We hugged and hugged, I introduced him to Tanner and he said he needed a picture of us so he got his camera and took one. (I'd still like a copy of it, I looked fabulous that night. Ha Ha)
*When he and Greg and Ken would see who could do the most push ups... he would always win.
*Having delicious breakfast at their house when we stayed with them. That was more thanks to your grandma but he was there helping!
My last memory was hugging him goodbye after your reception

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to know him and love him so much. He always made me feel loved and always seems genuinely happy to see me. What a sweetheart, he will be missed.

whimpey said...

I love that picture of Garrett. I need a copy. All of the other faces are solemn and then there is Garrett with a big smile on his face. I really do think he understands and just knows he will see him again. I need that kind of faith.

We miss you guys already!

elizabeth lawlor said...

man he was such a wonderful man! garrett is my favorite! that is how my niece was at my grandpa's funeral. she just kept saying, "we'll see him again" glad you got to visit him awhile before!
keep plugging along!! :)

Brooke Whimpey said...

Wow Jen! I wish that we would have hd our camera with us that day! It looks awesome though. By the way, who has those pictures of us girls in grandpa's boots?

Cheryl Elmer said...

Sorry for your loss. I have been to a few funerals with the folding of the flag and the guns being fired...they are emotional. Glad you are home safe.

Kachelle said...

i'm so sorry for your loss. it's wonderful that we have the gosple because we know this isn't really the end.

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

I'm sorry for your loss Jenn.
But I love little Garrett's faith and understanding of it all. He doesn't have to be sad cause he's gonna see is Grandpa again! :] I love the faith of a little one.
I also liked your story about liccorice. It's funny to picture you saying that to him.